Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Cards, money, journalism and online business (chapter 2)


When I saw the place where our car stopped, I was very surprised: that was a house, not big and not small, just it looked good and tidy, everything seemed to be cozy, comfortable and without ceremony. Then a man opened the door – he was smiling, he had kind sad eyes, but they were full of craftiness and bright smart face. When I got to his apartment he told me the story about himself and his life. I understood that he had been a friend of my father for ages and he truly appreciated the fact that I had chosen exactly him as an interviewee. And what is the most exciting here, he told me the story about a man, who became a ‘hero’ of my homework – in other words, he told me the chronicle of his grandfather. Here is what he said:

‘I have only one person, who is my genius and my idol all this time. My grandpa. Unfortunately, he is not alive now, but a memory of him is still in my mind and heart. Everybody called him uncle Michael. He was a gambler, a professional gambler. And according to this fact a lot of people didn’t like him. The thing was that they were associating this word with fraud, scam, trickery and vehemence (which was like a human vice). So uncle Michael seemed to be a bad person almost for anyone: even if one didn’t know him, he had that preconceived attitude. Thus his life was not so simple.

But you know, Ksusha, what was special with him? He was not a person that he seemed to be. Yes, he knew everything about cards, a lot of different techniques, methods, playing strategies, etc. – he was a devotee! And this card love was not casual. Cards were EVERYTHING for him, they were replacing his job, and he was able to earn playing and getting the money from people in a beautiful manner. As you see, he was a true smart and wise person, somebody who had a passion to dedicate himself to a work that he liked. As a result he was a professional. And this skill, I mean a skill of being a pro in any card game one day helped him to save people’s lives. I got to know it only after his death, because he didn’t tell me this story: only one of his friends opened that secret for me.

So, that was a hard time for our country (a period of Great Patriotic War), but my grandfather wasn’t a military man, he continued playing while the war was passing. He played in an occupied Kharkiv with Germans. One day while he was playing with a German military officer, he won and suddenly got to know that Germans would like to deliver a few hundreds of Jews to Poland and so they were doomed to death. Then my grandfather gave that officer a term: if he won in the next game, then this officer should leave 10 Jews and give him a life, if the officer won, my grandfather would give him all that he won before. The officer agreed with terms, but he said he was ready to give freedom only to 5 Jews. The agreement was done.

No comments:

Post a Comment